Saturday 8 October 2016

Butternut Squash Soup

Nothing like a hearty vegetable soup to nurse a sick household back to health. The first flu of the autumn has struck us all down, and my daughter made a special request for something soft and warm in her tummy.

My soup style is to use up whatever I have on hand. A soup is a place where you can be wholly experimental and it usually turns out wonderful.

I started off by deseeding and then baking a whole butternut squash for an hour until it was a warm golden colour. I then made my stock with 3 large carrots, 4 medium yellow potatoes, 3 celery sticks, 4 cloves of haroic a half inch piece of fresh ginger and two large onions (I sautéed the tumeric, cumin, coriander,  onions, garlic, ginger, celery and carrots in coconut oil in a separate pan first). I then added a few teaspoons of organic chicken Better Than Bouillon, then mixed in the baked squash and let the soup gently roll to a boil before simmering for about three hours. You can of course use the crockpot for this, but I used a large stock pot on the stovetop.

Once the soup was done, I blended it with a handheld blender and then topped it with a tablespoon of reduced coconut milk, raw diced onions,  roasted almonds and crispy fried fresh sage.

With a piece of my homemade chilli cornbread, it was a perfect meal that put a little colour in all of our grey cheeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment